Try as we may to lead a worry-free life and maintain a positive outlook, no one is immune from mental health issues at one time or another. This is especially true as we get older and may be dealing with chronic medical conditions or a sense of insecurity.
If you or your loved one is a senior who needs some help in a respectful and positive environment, appropriate psychiatric care is available here in the Hollywood, Florida area. Personalized therapy by one of our specialists can help patients:
- Sleep better
- Reduce pain and other symptoms
- Experience improved relationships with their loved ones
- Improve their quality of life
Let’s talk about some of the main issues that a psychiatrist can help you handle, and where you can go in Hollywood and the greater Miami and Fort Lauderdale area to see an excellent psychiatrist who accepts Medicare.
Common Mental Health Issues in Seniors
There are several mental health disorders that are common among seniors, including the following:
- Frequent mental distress (FMD): While anyone can experience mental distress, FMD happens when a person feels stressed, sad, depressed, or has problems with their emotions for at least 14 out of 30 days. It can interfere with their life, such as eating habits, maintaining a clean household, working, or sustaining personal relationships. FMD can also have a negative effect on one’s physical health.
- Depression: More than just a temporary and passing sad mood, depression is a condition in which an individual experiences persistent and deep sadness and withdrawal from the activities they previously enjoyed. It may be accompanied by physical discomfort/illness, difficulty sleeping, or the feeling that you are slowing down and more powerless than before. Issues that can lead to the onset of depression include underlying physical illness, impaired function, widowhood, alcoholism, or addiction (including to prescription medication). The good news is that depression is one of the most successfully treated mental health issues.
- Anxiety: Like depression, anxiety is very common among older adults. In fact, nearly half of older adults who are diagnosed with depression also experience heightened levels of anxiety. It is defined as a feeling of fear, dread, and uneasiness that might cause one to feel restless and tense, sweat more than usual, have a rapid heartbeat, and have trouble concentrating – or thinking about anything other than what is causing you to worry. Anxiety can be triggered by difficult experiences or situations in which one feels helpless, but it can also be caused by medical problems, chronic pain, or as a side effect of certain medications.
Medicare Psychiatrist in Hollywood, Florida
At Palm Medical Centers in Hollywood, and other locations throughout South Florida and Central Florida, our primary care physicians provide access to a wide variety of healthcare specialists, including those who address psychological – as well as medical and wellness – issues with appropriate treatment. Our patients have the option of utilizing our in-house psychiatry partner services or to be referred to an in-network provider of choice.
Note that the types of specialty care we offer will vary based on your location and the type of insurance you have. However, Medicare Part B helps to pay for certain outpatient mental health services, including psychiatry. A patient relations outreach representative at Palm Medical Centers can help to make sure you receive all the assistance to which you are entitled.
To learn more about our psychiatric care services or to become a patient at Palm Medical Centers, call us today at (833) 500-PALM (7256). We have many medical centers located throughout South Florida and Central Florida. You can schedule a tour of your preferred site, at no cost or obligation to you. We look forward to seeing you!