There is no more important professional relationship than between a patient and a doctor. Plus, when it comes to continuity of medical care, seniors can benefit greatly from developing and maintaining an ongoing relationship with a general practitioner (GP).
Also referred to as family doctors or internists,GPs focus on a patient’s overall physical and mental health, treating common medical conditions and performing routine exams to keep them healthy and out of the hospital. But there’s more to being a general practitioner than meets the eye.
Let’s take a more specific look at the common services a GP provides and where you can find the best GP in Miami, Florida.
Your First Point of Medical Contact
By and large, the services of a general practitioner include:
- Assessing patients with a physical exam.
- Reviewing their medical history.
- Ordering tests.
- Recommending treatment.
- Providing immunizations.
- Referring them to a specialist if necessary
As part of a larger team of nurses, pharmacists, psychiatrists, and others, GPs support holistic (whole-body) health care that includes preventive medicine and patient health education.
More specifically, the more common services a GP provides include:
- Wellness exams and preventative medicine – General practitioners perform routine tests for various health conditions, such as:
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- High cholesterol
- Risk factors for heart disease
- Risk factors for diabetes
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
GPs also play a vital role in preventative medicine. For example, if you have a family history of chronic illness, are atrisk for a particular chronic condition, or are experiencing certain symptoms, a screening by your general practitioner can help you maintain your wellness and provide you with peace of mind. GPs also make sure you are up to date on all your necessary immunizations.
- Urgent care for sudden illness or Injury–When you’re suddenly sick, injured, or experience troubling symptoms, your GP is your first point of medical contact for diagnosis and treatment, treatment, assessing your overall health, prescribing medication if required, and connecting you with a specialist if necessary. GPs can treat acute conditions, such as
- Asthma attacks
- Colds and flu
- Minor broken bones
- Minor wounds
- Muscle strains and sprains
- Skin infections
- Urinary tract infections
In addition, if you or a loved one experience a mental health crisis, your general practitioner can refer you to a mental health specialist.
- Treatment for chronic conditions — GPs can promptly provide prescriptions, lifestyle recommendations, and follow-up care for chronic conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, hypertension, respiratory distress, and some chronic mental health issues.
General Practitioner in Miami, Florida
Here at Palm Medical Centers, our team of board-certified physicians are trained in the early detection of medical conditions, which can dramatically improve the likelihood of successful treatment when the disease is caught early. Our experienced primary care providers can also help with urgent care needs. We make every effort to get our patients treated as soon as possible, especially when the matter is urgent.
To learn more about our services, call us today at (833) 500-PALM (7256). We have 27 medical centers conveniently located throughout South Florida and Central Florida to serve you. If you wish to schedule a consultation, send us a message.