You have heard the expression, “70 is the new 40.” It underscores the fact that old-age stereotypes no longer apply to today’s seniors. They’re active and more focused on maintaining their youthful vitality than ever.
Although it’s true that as we age, our bodies start to slow down, and some things we used to and still do – such as running, dancing, playing tennis, or climbing several flights of stairs — become a bit more taxing on our joints and muscles, the desire to stay physically and mentally active is still there.
There are numerous activities adults over the age of 70 can incorporate into their daily lifestyle to maintain their physical and mental health to make them feel years younger. Let’s talk about these activities and where you can go for excellent senior healthcare in South and Central Florida.
Activities for Adults Over the Age of 70
According to The Centers for Disease Control (CDC), 30 minutes of gentle exercise each day helps seniors reduce their risk of common illnesses like heart disease, hypertension (high blood pressure), and diabetes and maintain healthy bones and muscles. Physical fitness also helps reduce the risk of falling and enables seniors to remain independent.
Your mental health is just as important as your physical fitness when it comes to feeling younger. Besides prescribed medication to deal with depression or anxiety, keeping your brain active, getting involved in community affairs, and increasing your social interaction are all ways to improve your mental wellbeing.
You can also do the following activities to look and feel more energetic and youthful:
- Get up and get walking – Taking walks each day is one of the easiest ways to get exercise. It can also be fun if you do it with a friend. Start with a 10-minute stroll and gradually work up to longer, more strenuous sprees.
- Take up gardening – This is a favorite activity among seniors, as well as a productive way to stay active. Also, growing and eating vegetables and/or fruit help boost your nutrition.
- Enroll in an exercise class –What better way to improve your physical health while making new friends?Gentle exercises such as water aerobics, yoga, or light strength training can help boost your energy and improve your muscle tone and flexibility, making it easier for you to maintain your balance and less likely to fall – a common threat to seniors.
- Give your brain a workout– Crossword puzzles, chess, jigsaw puzzles, and word and board games can help you stay mentally sharp. You can play some of these on your smartphone or iPad.
- Start (or renew) a hobby – This is a great way to learn new skills or brush up on those you enjoyed in the past. Whether it’s knitting, baking, woodworking, furniture restoration, or growing indoor plants, hobbies can provide a healthy, fun challenge.
- Find a social outset for yourself –Volunteering for a local charity, joining a book club, becoming involved in your event planning, or attending religious services are all ways to stay busy and connected with your community.
Senior Care in South and Central Florida
At Palm Medical Centers, we understand that regular physical and mental activity is critical to every person’s health and wellbeing, especially seniors. That’s why many of our locations have dedicated, on-site wellness centers that provide a wide range of physically stimulating activities, festive events, and educational classes. These include:
- Arts and crafts
- Dance lessons
- Exercise classes
- Holiday and theme parties
- Nutrition and diet programs
- And so much more
For more information about our wellness centers and how they can keep senior adults feeling younger, call Palm Medical Centers today at (833) 500-7256 (PALM) or simply complete our online form to request an appointment.