Mother’s Day is here, and what better time to focus on the needs of the woman who has dedicated her life caring for her children.
To celebrate the occasion, consider giving your mother the best gift of all – your support for her health and wellbeing. There are many ways you can support your senior mother’s healthcare needs and ensure she lives a long, thriving, and healthy life.
How to Address Your Mother’s Health Concerns
Aging women face many potential healthcare concerns, such as:
- Breast cancer
- Heart disease
Aside from looking for symptoms of these age-related ailments, educate your mother on what signs she needs to look out for, such as breast swelling, brittle bones, muscle pain, or memory loss.
Depression is one of the most common ailments in seniors, but also one of the hardest to notice. This is particularly true if you don’t see your mother often.She may seem like her normal self when you visit her but may be struggling mentally when alone.
If your mother is dealing with depression, see to it that she is engaged in a hobby or other activities and maintaining a social life and some sort of responsibility to keep her busy and in good spirits. If needed, encourage her to see a specialist for professional help.
Other supportive tips include:
- Ensuring that your mother is eating healthily. Remind her to eathealthy foods, such as leafy greens, berries, and avocados,on a regular basis and only enjoy the occasional snack or treat in moderation.
- Making sure she is taking any medications properly. Be aware of your mother’s prescriptions and take note of her doctor’s or pharmacist’s instructions. You can also help her by purchasing vitamins and supplements recommended by her doctor and by monitoring her sugar intake.
- Helping your mother manage any existing health conditions. Make sure your mother is comfortably situated in her home. If she has any physical challenges, provide the equipment or facilities needed to avoid falls or other injuries.
- Making sure she keeps her medical appointments and gets screened. Some seniors tend to overlook or avoid trips to the doctor either due to forgetfulness or difficulty with transportation. Others simply want to avoid the cost despite the fact that Medicare covers a yearly wellness exam at no cost to the patient. Impress upon your mother the importance of regular doctor visits as an opportunity to ask questions about her health and have her doctor perform the vital screenings she needs for common senior ailments. Most of these screenings are also covered by Medicare.
Senior Primary Care with Genuine Kindness in South and Central Florida
At Palm Medical Centers, we have been bringing genuine kindness to senior primary care for 10 years. We not only provide comprehensive primary health care for our senior patient – with attentive doctors specialized in senior care that listen to you – but also help them access and obtain the social services, including Medicare application and plan selections, available to them and their family. In fact, we have dedicated patient relations outreach representatives who work with ACCESS Florida representatives to streamline the process and help make it happen.
With multiple locations within three miles of your home and accepting most Medicare Advantage Plans, Palm Medical Centers is the ideal source for quality senior healthcare. We currently service for more than 35,000 patients with a satisfaction rating of over 98% and offer specialized senior care that includes:
- In-house labs
- Medicare same day appointments, walk-ins, and minimal to nowait times
- Specialist care coordination
- Transportation assistance
- 24/7 access to urgency line and care team
Call (833)500-PALM (7256) to book an appointment at the Palm Medical Centers location nearest you or send us a message now. You can receive a $15 gift card at your first new patient appointment! So, contact us today.